[AT] Farmall 100 damage - final solution info

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Sat Jul 31 04:58:00 PDT 2010

We lucked out! The problem on our one side lockup as noted below turned out
to be two easy items. The bolt holding the Final drive gear, bearings, shaft
etc. in alignment had come out! Also, possibly because of that issue, the
sheet metal pan holding the oil and protecting the gear had a line of pin
holes where the gear appears to have worn a line of them while the gear was
out of place.
     So, we first put the bolt and other parts back in place and tightened
them properly. Then made a new gasket for the pan. Then lastly we TIG welded
the sheet metal pan. The resulting fix looks like there was never a problem!
     But I just don't know about that assembly quality at the IH factory in
1955 - a tractor that had a problem in its 55th year of service! LOL. We
also did a basic service while the tractor was here at the shop and bought
and installed an air cleaner as apparently someone removed the air cleaner
at some time before the tractor came into the possession of our farm about
15 years ago.
     Having done these repairs, I am now thinking about resuscitating
Farmall 100 number 3 which also has a harvest/sprinkler pipe platform on it.
This would make a good addition to efficiency of my farm. So I guess I will
be looking for another parts tractor since number 3 was used as a parts
donor in the past. Anyone know of one here in Central California?
              Grant Brians
              Hollister,California vegetable farmer