[AT] Super A Throttle Adjustment

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:23:42 PDT 2010

Hello,

Let me apologize for making this question so long.  It is rather
complicated to explain!

When I first bought my Farmall Super A, the governor wouldn't let the
tractor idle.  I adjusted the little clevis from the governor to the
carb "according to the book" i.e. aligning the parts together at full
throttle so that the pin easily slips in.  That fixed the problem of the
idle.

Now I have a new issue, part of which comes because I am not familiar
with how a Super A governor/ throttle should work.  When it is adjusted
like the manual says, the governor surges the engine.  I can see the rod
bouncing back and forth.  And, I don't get full throttle power, only
maybe half open.  Part of this could be because when it is adjusted like
this, it wants to idle when the throttle control lever is about halfway.

I can adjust it to get full power.  Then I have no range, only high
throttle, and an idle of some degree.

I can tell I am doing something wrong.  Is there a part that has gone bad?

Question One-- Should the engine ever run "full throttle," thus the
official adjustment being correct?
Question Two-- The "surging" issue- I notice that the shaft from the
governor to the carb is "loose" when the throttle control lever is in
the middle.  When it is at idle or full throttle, the shaft is tight.
Is this normal?  Is the "loose" position causing the surging?  Finally,
the parts book references a surge bumper at the bottom of the governor
housing.  Do I need to adjust it?

Thanks for all the help....
Ben Wagner