[Farmall] Coating for grass mowers

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Jul 6 05:14:56 PDT 2010

The whole problem with painting the underside of a mowing deck is that
there is constant abrasion going on when you're cutting grass. And it's
not only from the grass. When cutting, you're actually picking up sand,
dirt, small pebbles, etc that really wear away at whatever paint there is.
It's only a matter of time before anything that's used is going to be worn
away. The only way to minimize the wear is to put the hardest paint you
can find on the bottom side of the deck. For my two cents, I'd use an
epoxy based paint, mixed with extra hardener to make it last longer, and
then put on two or three coats.

Once the surface becomes abraided and grass starts to stick, that's when
the moisture starts to take it's toll. The best way to fight that is to
hose off the underside when you done while the grass is still wet. It'll
come off a lot easier then when it's dry. Letting wet grass stay stuck to
the bottom side of the deck for several days will eventually result in the
moisture working it's way through the paint to the metal, and that's when
the rust starts.

One thing I've been considering is to make a nylon liner for the deck. I
figure 1/16 to 1/8 nylon sheet should be easy to cut and weld together. It
should provide good wear and would help keep the paint from wearing away.
Should last a few years to, so it might be worthwhile. I'm considering
doing this over this coming winter when I plan to tear the Cub apart and
give it a new paint job.  I'll give the mower a new coat of paint while
I'm at it, and fix some of the little things that need attention.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.