[AT] OT I'm getting older are you?

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:33:07 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net> wrote:
> I remember most of those old things. I had a '46 Plymouth with vacuum
> wipers and remember them all but stopping going up a hill. I had a
> friend with a late '20s Dodge Brothers Six, and the heater was just a
> tin wrapper/funnel around the exhaust manifold that ran into a pipe that
> went to the passenger compartment. Needless to say, it didn't provide
> much heat.
>
> It is 14° in NJ this morning with an 8 mph wind, making it feel like 3°.
> That is probably not any kind of record, but with the generally mild
> winter we have had this year, it feels very cold. Yesterday afternoon it
> was up to 40° (after getting an inch of snow in the morning). I have not
> yet had to get out any tractors to push snow, but February is the month
> when I can remember getting hit the hardest in the past.
>
> Mike

On the better models of Ford cars for a number of years they used a
dual fuel pump. One end pumped the fuel and the other end provided
extra vacuum for the wipers. On our 1952 you could be in over-drive
and climbing a mountain and the wipers would keep going, a little
slower but still working. That same fuel pump would mount right on
about any Ford but for some reason few people would pay the extra
money to switch to one.
The wipers on my 1952 Plymouth were very reliable (the whole car was)
but they had two speeds. Slow and slower... In a serious storm a
little more wiper speed would have been great.
-
I can live with Feb. snow, by then I know spring is coming soon... I
hate a huge snow in early Jan. because it can sit around for 6 weeks
some years here. In Feb.The daylight hours improve things a lot too. I
always fight depression in January gloom... I have an almost
over-powering urge to hibernate...
-
A local drive in restaurant with curb service always opens back up the
first of Feb. and has since the 1950's. I always get a warm glow when
they open because spring is coming.
I got the same feeling in Rural King last week when I saw that huge
aisle of garden seed being sat up... :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"