[Farmall] Headlight Reflectors and Tire Rims

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Thu Jan 28 12:37:05 PST 2010

The glass on the headlights ......

The reflective surface is a plating over a brass body, usually of nickel.
You can try to polish it with metal polish, but depending on how damaged
it is, you just might polish away whatever is left, or you just might get
it all nice and clean but it may be too scratched to be reflective.
Whatever you try, do it on the back side first where there should be some
plating. The other option is to see if you can get it replated at a decent
cost.

What paint would you use...

I purchased new rims for my Cub about a little over a year ago. They where
new, but where primed a tan color. I found that Rust-Oleum makes a
spray-on galvanizing paint that looks just like galvanized metal when it
dries, greyish speckled coloring. It claims the dried film to contain 93%
pure zinc, and it doesn't need a top coat.  Haven't seen a spot of rust
yet. It took about a can a rim, and I think I did two coats with each can.
I picked it up at either Lowes or Home Depot. You have to look in
Rust-0-leum's special paints, to find it.  Look under "GALVANIZING
COMPOUND SPRAY".  It comes in a bright galvanizing (7584838) and a cold
galvanizing color (7585838).  Should be able to find it on their website.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.