[Farmall] Cub experts

Mike Schmudlach mschmudlach at charter.net
Thu Jan 28 10:14:37 PST 2010

A R92 did not go through 91 revisions.
Try to find a R77 IH part number.  :-)
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of
szabelsk at gdls.com
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:09 AM
To: Farmall/IHC mailing list
Subject: Re: [Farmall] Cub experts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "R92" would imply that the drawing for the
354912R92 panel has gone through 92 revisions without the part number being
changed (the first version of the part would have been 354912R1).
That's how a lot of the government drawings that we deal with are numbered,
especially the older ones from back in the M48 and M60 days. The basic
drawing number in this case would be 354912. You add the revision number to
the end of the part so you have the flexibility of ordering older style
parts when you don't need all the revisions/improvements incorporated, or if
for some reason you can't use the latest part.
Sometimes after several revisions/improvements parts don't remain totally
retrofitable into old equipment. It's one of the bigger problems we have
here with making things better for the army without affecting
interchangeability between vehicle platforms. When the improvements become
too drastic, we assign a new part number and start the revision process all
over with the new part.

If this is correct the 351508R2 had a very short life, since it apparently
only went through one revision before being replaced. Probably not very many
went into production. In fact I would guess that just after it went into
production, somebody realized a major concern/issue with the panel as it
was, and a total redesign was started right away. Cubs that had already
shipped were probably retrofitted at the dealer or were just left alone.
Doubt if there was a recall effort to make sure all the shipped Cubs had an
improved 354912 series panel.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No
one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or
its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this
message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your
computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.