[Farmall] Cub experts

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jan 23 04:53:08 PST 2010

As others commented, the Cub with and without "Touch Control" is
identical. As I understand it, the Touch Control system was not ready
for production in 1947 when IH wanted to start selling the tractor. So
they were simply sold them without hydraulic lift. When the hydraulic
system became available, it was sold as an "option" (as was battery
ignition, electric starting, lights, etc.). I have a '48 with electric
start and lights, hydraulics, but magneto ignition. (This has come in
handy when the battery died over the winter - I could start and run the
tractor and get the battery charged at the same time.) It would be very
unusual to find a Cub without all of those "options" after 1948, but I
suppose it is possible - I never say "never" when it comes to IH
tractors, as they were quite accommodating when responding to
(reasonable) customer requests.

For a very detailed and thorough history of the Farmall Cub and its
descendants, I recommend ""Farmall Cub & Cub Cadet" by Ken Updike from
MotorBooks International. Between Jim Becker and Ken, you will find
everything you could ever imagine wanting to know about Farmall
tractors. :-)

Mike