[AT] OT I'm getting older are you?

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 07:49:46 PST 2010

I remember when a lot of that stuff was the new stuff. :-)
Besides tractors the first road vehicle I learned to drive was a Model
A Ford little flat bed truck. On it, the dimmer/light switch was a
little lever on the center of the steering wheel along with a little
round horn button. On it the starter button you pushed with your foot
was so far up under the dash that I as a kid had to slide forward
about off of the seat to push it. The throttle lever was on the right
side of the steering column (about like many tractors) and the spark
control was on the left side. On ours you pushed the spark lever all
of the way up and pulled the throttle all of the way down. Then you
turned on the dash switch and pushed the starter. If you needed to
choke it the choke rod was waaaaay over on the right lower edge of the
dash on the passenger side (Henry must have hired one of the guys that
later designed the W series Allis tractors). I was just a kid then but
I'll bet a lot of young blades used that choke reach for an excuse
when there were young ladies in the car. As soon as it started you
pulled the spark lever down and pushed the throttle up all in one
motion. Sometimes you adjusted it a little to where it sounded right.
The choke rod not only choked it for starting but rotating it adjusted
the carb mix. The tiny accelerator had a similar sized foot rest post
next to it so you could hold it steady easier. A big help on rough
roads.
I found this page that shows stuff well. I do question his #12 on the
start-up section. Why would you mess with using the accelerator to
keep it running cold when it has a hand throttle? That is what I used.
There was no accelerator pump on that carb.
http://www.model-a.org/controls_adjustments.html
-
Does anybody else remember the Studebaker starter button that was
pushed with the clutch pedal all of the way down?

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"