[AT] OT: cell towers (was Re: Garden tractor???/Now RF hazard

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jan 26 08:45:25 PST 2010

Well, as a member of our local LUB (Land Use Board - similar to a
Planning Board), I have had a fair exposure to these things.

First off, the location has to be in an area that the cell phone
provider wants to serve - a busy highway or populated area where they
don't already have coverage. Then the provider will do some "propagation
modeling" (i.e: looking at topographic maps) to determine where the best
place might be to put up a tower to get the best coverage. And then, if
it looks good, they will run some test gear out to see if it is a good a
spot as the maps indicate.

Around here, I think they pay about $1500/month rental for the site,
which usually includes a fenced-in gravel-covered area about 200'x200',
and they run in power, telephone, and a gravel drive (if needed) at
their expense. The towers around here are usually monopoles and run
about 180' high. In our town, we require tower operators to provide
shared space on the towers instead of having towers all over the place
(and most of them are happy to comply - they offset the cost of the
towers with the income from renting space to their competitors). We also
require the tower owner to post a bond to insure that, if the tower is
ever abandoned, they will remove the tower and whatever supports it. I
should note that the cell phone carriers usually sell the towers to a
holding company shortly after erecting them and putting them into service.

So, if your property fits the needs of one or more carriers (AT&T,
Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.), I would go to their corporate Websites and let
them know you are interested.

Mike