[AT] Test, sending at 7:26 pm. on Thursday, January 21st

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 24 09:17:58 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <drupert at seanet.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Test, sending at 7:26 pm. on Thursday, January 21st

 Those old ads that give prices are interesting or amusing ... or maybe
> it's depressing.  That $99.95 Char Lynn Torque Generator in your' 1958 ad
> lists for $396.84 in the 2004 Hydraulic Parts Components catalog from
> Force America and $459 in the 2010 Farmall Parts Catalog from OEM Tractor
> Parts.
> Dudley

Dudley (and Cecil) I guess sometimes we get carried away looking at those
old ads and prices but thinking in today's dollars and income. In 1958 we
could buy a good sized new combine for under $7000. Last year I spent half
that much in a repair job on my 20 year old machine.
Seems we are always a few steps behind in the farming business and keep
thinking that eventually our crop returns will give us the buying power to
easily afford the equipment and inputs this business requires. As time goes
by I am thinking it is not too likely to happen. So its nice to look back 50
years and dream for a while anyway.
Having a good old fashioned blizzard in Sask. here this morning. I have
shovelled just the bare essentials leaving the rest until the weather
settles some. No point in moving the same snow twice.

Ralph in Sask.