[Farmall] Setback on '40 Farmall A

Howard Weeks weeksh at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 17 14:48:14 PST 2010

I just brought a basket case A back from Texas a few days back.  Plan
to refurbish it.  Believe it is a 46 model.  Needs a new head (old
one was cracked) and possibly a crankshaft.  I have both parts left
over from stuff I accumulated to restore a 44 A that I have.

I enjoy working on them but cleaning rust and paint prep is pure
"labor"!

The previous owner tore the motor down to free the frozen pistons.
When he found the cracked head, he gave the tractor to me;}

My main reason for bringing all this up is to comment that every
Farmall that I have redone was stuck to begin with.  I completely
disassembled each of them to check conditions inside the motor.  In
all cases, I was extremely glad that I did. A Super C and the A
engine had so much dirt, scale and rust inside the water jacket on
the block that the rear cylinder cooling space was almost completely
full of the crud.  #3 was also partially covered.  Those cylinders
would never have cooled properly.  I have found main and rod caps
that were reversed.  Cam shafts that were installed out of time
relative to the crank.  And oil pumps that were barely functional due
to wear or warping on the bottom cover plate.  Governors that were so
rusty they couldn't possibly work properly.

I have gotten so paranoid that I will tear down a "new to me" engine
that is running just to determine (for sure) what is what in that
engine.

Howard in GA