[AT] Swamp loggers. A log skidder is a tractor isn't it?

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Sun Jan 17 04:11:15 PST 2010

After having a small tract logged a couple years ago I have a much
greater understanding of the small operators.  I ended up using two
different ones.  The first blew up his truck engine and then his skidder
with no funds to make the repairs.  In fact the skidder stayed here
several months until he sold it to the man who eventually employed him.

The second group was local, just a bit larger (3 man versus 1 1/2 ).

Each had weekly problems with equipment failures, mill closings and
always problems finding a buyer for the timber.  Not an easy life
certainly.

I had few of the oft mentioned problems with loggers "trashing" things
and not being honest with timber payments BUT I was on site and was
counting all the truckloads.  They each showed me ALL the receipts for
the wood they sold.
I can see the potential for double dealing with larger jobs where the
owner/owner's rep isn't as vigilant.  I never felt either was dishonest
but they sure push the bounds of the contracts (as expected).

Apparently locally logging is picking up again.  Last winter there was
almost no activity.  This winter I see several crews working locally.
Maybe a sign the city is once again creeping toward me.

David
NW NC