[AT] Spam> Hello

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 10 10:09:02 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "charliehill" <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Spam> Hello

> Ralph, it's a new experience for folks in DC if they are younger than
> about
> 40 but the older folks have seen it before.  I think we are getting back
> around the cycle to were we were in the 50's.  This year is the first time
> the ground has been frozen here in a decade or more.   Not frozen like you
> see but frozen down a few inches.  Back when I was a boy about 20 miles
> north of my present home the swamps would freeze over thick enough that
> 100
> lb boys could walk and slide on the ice and only occasionally break
> through.
> Sometimes the creek and the river would freeze over.  To some of you the
> creek or river freezing over doesn't sound like much but the river near my
> house is 2 miles wide.  I've seen it frozen from bank to bank and once
> even
> saw some wheel tracks out about 1/3 of the way over.  I don't know what
> made
> them, only that they were there.  That  was close to 40 years ago.

Charlie, I wish I had some photos of my Uncles F500 Ford truck out on the
lake picking up a load of frozen fish for the mink farms back in the
sixties. He used to say sometimes you could hear (and feel) the ice crack
although he never had a problem with it. Ice fishing is a popular sport here
all winter and you'll see trucks and fishing huts all over the ice.
Just for the heck of it I am going out with the ice auger one of these days
and see just how deep the ice is frozen on some of our sloughs.

Ralph in Sask.