[AT] Spam> Hello

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:20:37 PST 2010

Ralph, it's a new experience for folks in DC if they are younger than about
40 but the older folks have seen it before.  I think we are getting back
around the cycle to were we were in the 50's.  This year is the first time
the ground has been frozen here in a decade or more.   Not frozen like you
see but frozen down a few inches.  Back when I was a boy about 20 miles
north of my present home the swamps would freeze over thick enough that 100
lb boys could walk and slide on the ice and only occasionally break through.
Sometimes the creek and the river would freeze over.  To some of you the
creek or river freezing over doesn't sound like much but the river near my
house is 2 miles wide.  I've seen it frozen from bank to bank and once even
saw some wheel tracks out about 1/3 of the way over.  I don't know what made
them, only that they were there.  That  was close to 40 years ago.

Today it's bright and sunny here but the wind is blowing sustained 25 and
gusting to 50 and we reached a high of 41 very early this morning after a
warm rain yesterday.  It'll be below freezing by late afternoon if not
before.

Charlie