[AT] Needles; Case or IHC balers - mid 40's

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 10 08:20:29 PST 2010

I would appreciate a photo of an "H" shaped needle from a mid 40's Case or IHC baler, and a photo of the left side of bale chamber where the needle is being slowly retracted from the bale chamber (by that heavy duty bar at an angle and making contact with the 3" long roller on the crossbar of the needle), or a decent advertising photo may be adequate.    The only two makes of balers that I worked on in the mid 40's were Case and IHC.     The neighbors with the IHC were very innovative, so I do not remember which baler(s) used the above shaped needle.
A month or so ago someone was needing the H shaped needles for a wire (hand block and hand tie) baler from the mid 40's.   An AC acquaintenance has a couple of these old needles, but thinks they are for some other use.   I am trying to determine what his needles are for, so he will know, and can then sell them if he so decides.
I ate a lot of dust in the mid and late 40's as a tier and then as a blocker on a wire tie baler.   The baler was a Case or an IHC. The blocker, seated on the left side of the baler, loaded the needle to his left (toward front of baler) into the spring loaded plunger that shoved the needle into the bale chamber when it was tripped by the mechanism near the rear of the bale chamber.   As the new bale progressed through the chamber, a slanted heavy duty strap iron on left side of the bale chamber slowly made contact with the 2" long roller on the crossbar of the needle and forced the needle to slowly withdraw from the bale chamber.    The blocker would grab this nearly withdrawn needle (now on his right side) and reposition again on his left side (for start of another bale).   Two needles were needed for this operation.     The blocker also had to thread both ends of each of the two bale wires into the needles; and the tier (on right side of the bale chamber) grabbed these wire
 s, pulled them reasonably tight,  and tied a knot.
I do not remember the pay per bale, but do remember the blocker received a little more per bale than the tier.
Herb