[AT] Can you hear me now? Rust

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:53:52 PST 2010

Charlie,  about 6 years or so ago the rear end on my 89 GMC went out.  I
bought a newer complete rear end from a salvage yard and swapped it out.
Now road salt is not a major issue here although they are starting to use
liquid potassium chloride anytime they think there might be ice, but still
it's not a problem like you have up north.  However, when I pulled the rear
end out of that truck, out of the 8 nuts on the U-bolts holding the axle in,
5 of them broke the bolt.  The bolts were rusted down to smaller than a #2
pencil.  The problem was the way the bracket is made.  It sits up under the
axle like a cup turned up and any dirt and salt it encounters sits in the
cup right around the U bolt threads.   I know that must be a bad problem up
your way.