[AT] Yellow Farmall now cold starting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 31 18:01:14 PST 2010

On 12/31/2010 7:39 PM, Rupert wrote:
> 	Something else to think about. Many of the newer tractors that used 90
> wt gear oil have a live power take offs. The Cockshutt 30 and 40 and
> 1850 are among that group. The cold gear oil in the PTO can make it very
> difficult to turn the engine over. We warmed the gear case with a fire
> pot on the 30 and 40 as we didn't have electricity at the time. The 1850
> had block heaters since we had power when we got the tractor. 3 hours of
> run time on the block heater with the tractor outside was lots to start
> it if the batteries were good.
>
> Rupert

You are correct Rupert, that 85-90 gear oil in the Cockshutt 40 sure
does drag. Its even hard to move the gear shifter when I first start it
up this weather. My Dad used to remove the pto unit (simple operation on
those Cockshutts) to facilitate winter cranking back in the days when he
had to keep the school bus route open for us kids. He had no pto work
for it in the winter time so it was no problem. For me it would not be
feasible running the pto driven snowblower.
That reminds me, forgot to check the battery and charger that I plugged
in over 24 hours ago on the 40. Guess I'll have to head out in the dark
at -15F now  to check it. :-(