[AT] Ethanol

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 31 07:38:31 PST 2010

On 12/31/2010 7:31 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> Does anyone know the "proof" or percentage alcohol of the ethanol added to
> gasoline?  If it is pure stuff, or 200 proof, then it will absorb up to 50%
> of it's volume of water and still burn.
> Some of the products we buy to absorb moisture from our fuel systems are
> nothing but ethanol.  Back in my truck driving days, in cold weather, we
> used to add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to each
> fuel tank on fill up to keep any water that might be in the tanks from
> freezing and blocking a fuel line.  I think there are legitimate concerns
> about damage to fuel lines and carb parts in SOME equipment and small
> engines but I've never had a problem with it.
Charlie, as you might guess, gas line anti freeze or methyl hydrate is a
common item on the shelves here in winter. I don't have a container
handy to check the ingredients. In fact I have not used it in a long
while and had no problems with ice in the fuel. Not sure what our
ethanol content is in gas but I can't say I've had major problems with
today's gas in storage. I have a 300 gallon bulk tank on the farm that
is filled up several times a year and used as I require it. Old trucks
and tractors in my sheds seem to start up and run fine with the few
exceptions of my R160 IH which has had fuel tank issues since I bought
it 8 years ago.
Chain saws, lawn and garden equipment, snowmobile, all seem to do fine
sitting for months with fuel in the tanks. Occasionally, when I
remember, I will throw a little fuel stabilizer into the tanks but I
really don't know if it helps or is a waste of money.
I guess time will tell if the new ethanol content in gas will have an
adverse effect on the old equipment.

Ralph in Sask.