[AT] Ethanol

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Dec 30 22:05:23 PST 2010

I have less problems with the E10 super unleaded than I ever had with
regular gas.  If you run the ethanol based fuel in an old tank, get some
throwaway fuel filters and change them often for the first year, If you
drain your tank completely after ethanol fuel, it will dry out completely
and you can vacuum out the crud with a shop vac.  Regular unleaded without
ethanol has water mixed in it and when it evaporates the white stuff left is
the surfactant that makes the gas mix with the water.  I have run fire pumps
that had to make a pressure and volume test.  With regular unleaded they
would only make 100 psi on a 2 inch hose with a 3/4 nozzle.  With the
ethanol blend it would make 130 with the same nozzle and same conditions.
I use only super unleaded in my gasoline engines here on the farm and the
construction work I do.  It costs more, but creates less downtime.  I
believe it is cheaper in the long run.  It also stops icing of the
carburetor when running a generator during an ice storm outage and it is 20
deg with ice on everything at 2am.

Cecil in OKla