[AT] gasoline

Jon Fridgen jon.fridgen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 16:37:39 PST 2010

I think Jim raises some excellent points here. The ethanol mandate came
about to replace MTBE as an oxygenate in gasoline. MTBE is a terrible
carcinogen.

I work for a large agricultural company and have seen a lot of these
"studies". Some good, some bad. From my own work in the area, I have found
that:
1) Ethanol did not contribute to the run-up in food/commodity prices that
occurred in 2008. It was largely due to the activity of the spec funds in
the commodity markets. The World Bank or FAO (or some other organization)
validated this as well.
2) New processing technologies (i.e, cold cook as used by Poet) are
exponentially reducing the energy required to produce the fuel as well as
the carbon footprint.
3) The land use change arguments raised by environmental groups are B.S.

What concerns me more than anything is the role some of these environmental
groups a playing in agricultural policy and in a few years will be directly
impacting our freedom to operate on agricultural lands.

-Jon