[AT] Int. 184 overhaul - a mystery

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 15 05:52:16 PST 2010

On 12/14/2010 6:56 PM, Charlie V wrote:
> Interesting project and nice pictures, Mike.  That little spring got
> loose from someone in the shop one day and was never found because it
> ended up in an open container or an oil measure.  Later, someone
> filled the container or measure with oil and poured it into that
> engine.  Walla.  Spring in oil pan.  Ever wonder how bugs and pieces
> of leaves get into a radiator .  Same way. Contaminated container.
That could very well be, especially seeing the condition of the spring -
maybe it "escaped" from a nearby tractor at a repair shop, never to be
seen again. The mechanic simply got a new one from the parts man.

> Naturally, old school says hone the bores to break the glaze so the
> new rings seat better.  I do not know about modern thinking.  Suggest
> you inspect the bores very carefully for and vertical lines no matter
> how minor.  If you find any, hone lightly or as necessary.
The bores are very clean, although dark (from carbon, I assume).
According to the stuff I read, current manufacturing capabilities
produce rings that don't need to "bed" the way the old ones did. I have
a friend in MI who works for Hastings, and I am going to ask him what
his company suggests.

Mike (in frosty NW NJ)