[AT] Int. 184 overhaul - a mystery

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:56:43 PST 2010

Interesting project and nice pictures, Mike.  That little spring got
loose from someone in the shop one day and was never found because it
ended up in an open container or an oil measure.  Later, someone
filled the container or measure with oil and poured it into that
engine.  Walla.  Spring in oil pan.  Ever wonder how bugs and pieces
of leaves get into a radiator .  Same way. Contaminated container.

Naturally, old school says hone the bores to break the glaze so the
new rings seat better.  I do not know about modern thinking.  Suggest
you inspect the bores very carefully for and vertical lines no matter
how minor.  If you find any, hone lightly or as necessary.

Just my two pennies worth.

Charlie V.  in frosty WNY.