[AT] Change - way off topic

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Sun Dec 5 19:31:12 PST 2010

There are laws in various cities in Ohio that ban texting while driving.
There is talk of a state wide ban.

Charlie mentioned that he was following a young girl putting on make up
while driving.  One day my cousin was in his F350 4x4, which he just
finished paying off.  He was coming on the down side of a railroad
overpass on a two lane road.  A girl going the other way, putting on her
make-up while driving. She crossed the center line and hit him head on
at 45 mph.  The truck didn't look to bad for getting hit at that speed,
all though it was totaled.  Her car was a crumpled mess.  He wasn't
injured at all.  He got out of his truck (he is a fireman and
paramedic/EMT, whichever one that has more training), he climbed into
the back of her car and started whatever emergency procedures he had to
do for her.  They flew her from location to the trauma hospital in
Cleveland.  I think she lived. She was extremely fortunate.  I bet she
gets up 5 minutes earlier now to put on make-up.

People, especially younger ones, think driving is a game.  And maybe
they have played to many video games, and think nothing bad will happen,
you just hit the restart button, right.  Like Ralph said, you need to
have 110% of your attention on the road and drivers around you.
Unfortunately, a lot of times it will take a tragic situation to wake
some young people up to the fact that driving isn't a game.  I hate the
car commercials on TV, that show young people piled into a car and all
bee-bopping including the driver.  What type of message is that sending
to these kids?

Lou