[Farmall] 1951 Cub won't start when very hot

Tractorman453657 at aol.com Tractorman453657 at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 10:58:20 PDT 2010

>From what you have said it doesn't sound like a spark problem  especially
with the electronic ignition. All though if you aren't using the  proper coil
with the petronix ignition you may be having a brake down problem  with the
coil. You must use a coil that is compatible with the  petronix  ignition.
The reason I say that is because I tried  to use a  regular coil. I had
problems. Without more information on the engine  such as  has it been
overhauled? If so then what was done? If not, has  there been regular maintenance ?
>From what I gather  your over  filling the radiator, leave it down about 1
1/2 inch from the top. The coolant  needs expansion room.   The first ting
that comes to my mind when you  say it wont start after running a while is the
engine valves. If they are out of  adjustment ( too tight)  the valves
might not be closing when hot causing  the problem. I would make sure the valves
are adjusted properly of you haven't  already.

In a message dated 8/30/2010 1:25:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
DBigdog at columbus.rr.com writes:

Jim,
You have covered all the common causes for  non-starting in the cub
engine.  Coil failure is most common and a  new coil could still fail.
However, before throwing parts at it, check for  presence of a good spark
when trying to start it hot.  If you still  have a good hot spark then
ignition is not an issue.  If your engine  is getting hot enough to boil
the
coolant it is possible that you have  valves sticking when the block is
that
hot.  A compression test when  hot should tell you if that is the case or
not.
If you  can start by verifying spark when hot we can decide which
direction to  head in troubleshooting.
I might also suggest that you check out  www.farmallcub.com as there is
lots
of cub information available there as  well as a very active online forum.

BD