[Farmall] 1951 Cub won't start when very hot

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 14:27:00 PDT 2010

Going by my memory (which is not to be trusted lately), the instruction
leaflet that comes with the Pertronix ignition module calls for a
resistance between the two terminals on the primary winding to be 3.4
ohms. So you need a fairly good DVM to get an accurate reading in that
range. If your coil shows up as reading, for example, 2.0 ohms, then you
need to add a ballast resistor in series with the coil that is 1.4 ohms.
Note that resistance increases as the temperature rises, so it is a good
idea to put the ballast resistor somewhere in the air flow from the fan,
not bolted to the back of the block or near the exhaust manifold. The
ballast resistor is usually a "sand filled" wire wound resistor rated at
at least 5 watts, although the higher the rating the better. I have seen
them at auto parts stores (many older cars use ballast resistors, and
some cars used a resistance wire). If you can find them at an auto
salvage yard, bring your meter and check them out before you bring them
home.

The above is for a standard coil in a 12 volt system. You can also buy
"12 volt" coils that have a resistor built into them. But either way,
you still need to have the 3.4 ohm total resistance.  (or whatever the
number is that Pertronix specifies)

Mike