[AT] Reactions to pictures posted from Portland

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Aug 29 23:00:01 PDT 2010

  On 8/29/2010 6:42 AM, john hall wrote:
> Grant, It's always interesting to see equipment from different areas. The
> picture of that little Ford with the four bottom plow made me chuckle. In my
> area it takes something the size of a 4020 John deere to pull 4 bottoms. And
> that plow itself is about 1/3 heavy enough to withstand the tight soil and
> rocks here. Strange enough if you traveled 100 miles to the east of me it
> would probably be a good set-up...

John,

I thought the same thing and figured that those must be 12" plows.
Three would have probably been fine.  As you mentioned, in
different locations - as in very light and sandy soils - four might work,
but in our ground we would have to have something like moldboard trip/rotate
protection for rocks on a mounted plow.  Seems like some years I only
tripped a moldboard once or twice a year, but without it, something major
would likely have broken on the plow - or perhaps my bod as I slammed
forward into the steering wheel.  Big rocks and tree roots have LOTS of
stopping power.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas