[AT] 3pt mower top link

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 09:24:26 PDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Steve W. <swilliams268 at frontier.com> wrote:
> Dick Day wrote:
>> Larry, thank you. You just confirmed what I thought.  The rigid top link
>> works ok if the land is pretty level but, as you say, for un-even ground,
>> it's a pain.
>>
>> I wonder why the manufacturer's don't offer the mowers with a chain option.
>>
>> I may start converting mine this weekend.
>>
>> Dick
>
> Liability. With the rigid links the mower acts sort of like a wheely bar
> if the operator decides to act stupid. It also prevents the mower from
> tipping up enough to expose the blades.
>
> Personally I like the chain because it makes the mower follow the
> terrain better. Also makes it easier when your backing up as the mower
> will ride up instead of trying to dig in.
>
> --
> Steve W.
=================================

I like having a flex link in the top link. I wouldn't use a chain
alone. Picture your tractor and mower from the side both with only a
chain and with a top link. Now suppose that you are buzzing a lot at a
pretty fast clip. Now put a short stump (or similar solid obstruction)
in the picture just in front of the mower. The front edge of the mower
hits the stump and note that the 3 point lift pins are suddenly a
pivot point... With the chain there is nothing to stop the whole mower
from pivoting completely over. With the top link it cannot, even with
a flex-link.
I'm not saying that it "will", just that it can... Frankly I'm not
interested in taking that chance... I will continue to use a top link
with a floating section about 6" long.
This is not mine but similar...
http://www.mitzenmacher.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Blade%20sharpening_003.jpg

Many many years ago I "heard" some farmers talking about how
supposedly on a few of Harry Ferguson's earliest experimental hitches
back in England that he used too light of a top link and when he hit a
solid rock that the plow would break the link and flip completely over
and hit the seat. I have never found anything written about it but it
drew a vivid picture in my then young mind.
Some mowers I have seen have two short pieces of chain built into the
long rear braces at the back of the mower.

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com