[AT] WAS: Snow Blower now Belt Dressing

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Aug 18 12:09:13 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Goss" <rlgoss at insightbb.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] WAS: Snow Blower now Belt Dressing

Alignment on a flat belt is almost a "no-brainer". When a belt wants to walk
it is going toward the LONGEST distance between centers it can possibly
find. It involves more than just getting the input and output axles lined
up, but one of the pulleys needs to have a slight crown to it so the longest
distance between rotating centers is always in the center of the belt. If
you don't have that condition because of limitations on what you can do with
your belting situation, it will always cause you trouble. If you have ever
looked closely at a line shaft installation, you will find at least one
pulley in every pair is crowned. Cast iron pulleys are made that way on
purpose. It isn't just that having the parting line in the middle of the
pulley was easy -- it is necessary. We had trouble keeping the flat belt on
the hammer mill when we first bought it and tried to power it with our John
Deere. So Dad wound several layers of friction tape around the center of the
pulley on the mill so it was slightly crowned. It solved the problem, and I
found out at an early age that friction tape isn't just for the handles of
baseball bats.

Yes, the hammer mill pulley has a slight crown to the centre and I believe
the wood saw pulleys are buillt the same way.
I should mention that the flat belt in the wood sawing video was not a true
flat belt like the old ones. This was actually a modern multi-vee belt used
on farm equipment. The belt was turned to run upside down so that it in
effect does have a flat surface to run on the flat pulleys of the engine and
saw. Seems to work well all these years.

Ralph in Sask.