[AT] Snow Blower

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:18:43 PDT 2010

Seeing these pictures brings back a memory from many years ago. A friend of my dad's was a mechanic for a local ready mix (dad used to work there) and he built a snowblower to use in his snow removal business.

Like many contractors here they remove snow in the winter while the construction work is slowed. This guy took an old dump truck frame, mounted 1-ton chevy 4x4 axles under it. He cut the front half of a ford van and mounted on the front as the cab (can't remember what powered the drive train) and then mounted an Oliver tractor minus the steering pedestal and axles (?) (tractor reference) backwards to power the snowblower and run the hydraulics. Painted it municipal orange. It was quite the sight to see. I sure wish I had some pictures of it. Dad said it worked very well. They'd take pickups and run through parking lots wind-rowing the snow like you would hay. Then they'd run this through there with a dump truck at it's side to load the snow and haul it away.

Last I heard when he got out of the snow removal business he gave it to the small town where he grew up to clear runways or something with it. He was one of those guys who could fix/build pretty much anything he wanted. Still remember being at his shop and seeing an old Petty race care he was restoring (not sure if he ever finished it). Fond memories.

Brad