[AT] Some ads from the 7/31 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 07:47:13 PDT 2010

If you are using a MS Windows operating system, Charlie, you have those
characters. Just go to "Accessories", then "System Tools", then
"Character Map". That will show you all the special characters and the
keystrokes needed to print them. For instance of you want to show 80°,
you need to type "80" and then hold down the "alt" key while hitting
"248" on the number pad to the right (NOT above the letters). That's my
2¢ worth (<alt> 0162). :-)

But, the more I think about it, the Lancaster Farming problem is more
likely the result of a problem with their OCR (Optical Character
Recognition) application failing to read the printed version of the ads
and just substituting nonsense characters in order to alert the operator
to a problem (which is obviously being ignored).

What the problem is with your correspondents' messages is anyone's
guess. One possible cause might be "noisy" telephone lines, although the
nature of TCP/IP protocol is supposed to eliminate the problem of
"garbled" messages.

Mike