[Farmall] Cub governor inspection and reinstallation

Dale flya737 at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 18:36:16 PDT 2010

Hi folks!  I have made a new project for myself…I inadvertently removed the governor on my ’55 Cub. (originally planned on replacing the front seal, but didn't need to after all, only the rear)  Before I had really read up on it…it was OFF!  Needless to say, I did NOT have the #1 cylinder at top dead center or mark the teeth, as I have NOW read!

I have cleaned the gunk off it, removed the old gasket, and now need to check the bearings, etc.  I have read the manual and checked a couple forums, but things are a bit vague (or I am a bit obtuse…hard to tell which!) regarding the actual disassembly of the governor.  The tractor was running fine when I began, so obviously I would like to not mess it up.  So can someone tell me how to disassemble the unit, and what are the absolute musts to do?  Do I need to remove the distributor for any reason?  Do I need to replace the rockshaft oil seal? (always, sometimes, on condition?) How do I know if the spring is OK?  Does the distributor gear seal usually need replacing?  Anything else?    I know I will need some help reinstalling it, too, since I didn't plan ahead.  Have a list of steps?

OK for now and thanks in advance for your help.

Dale Finch
Flya737 at aol.com