[AT] Starter trouble

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Apr 23 05:14:04 PDT 2010

I have had various starter problems over the years. If you are "clueless
on electrical", you might want to take yours to a competent auto
electric shop (not one of the chain auto parts places).

The first thing I do with a starter problem (that isn't just bad
grounds) is take the starter out and set it on a vise, attach  one end
of a jumper cable to a battery and the other to the starter frame
(starter motors don't care about polarity). Then I hook the other clamp
to the other battery terminal and then touch the free clamp to the stud
on the starter. There should be a hefty spark and the starter will try
to jump as it spins. If you don't get something like that, you will have
to start by taking things apart or take it to the shop for an "overhaul".

If a starter was working fine one day and then dead the next, it isn't
likely that the problem is brushes or commutator (at least in my
experience), as those problems usually result in just slowing down over
time. Also, just because you have continuity at the switch doesn't mean
a whole lot - your switch needs to be able to handle a couple hundred
amps, not just the tiny amount needed to test "continuity".

I did have one starter where the wire connecting the stud actually broke
away from the stud underneath, leaving me with no connection, but I
consider that a very rare situation.

If you decide to disassemble the starter (just two long bolts), there
are some things to look for: little bits of solder inside the housing
(resulting from overheating and the solder melting), bare wires in the
windings of the field coils (a sign that the front bushing has worn so
much that the armature has rubbed the field coils), broken brushes, dark
commutator (it should be shiny copper color), or any other obvious sign
of damage.

Let us know how you make out, as everyone's experience (good and bad) is
helpful as a learning too for others.

Mike