[AT] Demolition

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Apr 9 09:42:09 PDT 2010

That's exactly the problem George.  First you have to find one that is in
usable shape that you can buy.  Then you have to figure out how to move it.
If you buy it for $200 and have to load it on a for hire low boy you can
easily spend more on transport than you paid for it, even if it's just in
the next county.  It needs to be close enough to drive home.   Many of the
ones that end up in the derbies I'm sure appear to be in good shape but
could have one bad part that cost 3 or 4 times the value of the machine to
replace.  I understand that but it still makes it hard to watch the derbies
when you wish you had one.

With all that said,  I'm a firm believer in property rights and if a guy
owned a brand new one and wanted to drive it off a cliff it's none of my
business.  It's his to do with as he wants and I hope it stays that way.
I've got an old gas pump over on the farm.  It's mine and I want it to sit
right where it is, right where it was when we stopped farming.  I don't want
to sell it,   I don't particularly want to restore it.   I just want it to
sit there where it's been for 50 years.
I got several folks that are mad at me because I won't let them have it, buy
it or restore it for me but it's mine and I get to make the rules.  That's
the way it should be.  Still I understand why the other guys are mad at me
when they want one and can't find one.

Charlie

Charlie