[AT] Demolition (combines)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 8 08:26:31 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "charliehill" <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:37 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Demolition

>I know those combine demo derbies are all in good fun but I can't stand to
> watch them.  Everytime I see folks tearing up combines all I can think is
> that
> some small farmer somewhere needs that combine.  Even if it's worn slam
> out
> there are some parts on it that some guy needs.
>
> Charlie

Charlie, I can understand your feelings on that subject and I had to admit
that the old Oliver looked way too good to be smashed up that way. But a
little background on those machines is in order.
The two red ones were "donated" by a local combine salvage operator and had
already been stripped of some of the parts. Also keep in mind that in 1987
they were of a size that was in the minority as there were many more of the
bigger machines in use by then.
I did hear one guy commenting on how he hated to see the straw walkers in
that Case being destroyed as he knew what it cost to replace the walkers in
his own Case.
The Oliver belonged to a local farmer who had it parked in retirement and I
guess no plans to use it again. I figured that low mounted engine would have
been the first target to go but surprisingly it survived.
That green IH S160 winch truck that my brother is driving in the video is
the same one that I use for a water truck now. Its had an interesting life.

Ralph in Sask.