[AT] Demolition

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 8 05:37:21 PDT 2010

I know those combine demo derbies are all in good fun but I can't stand to
watch them.  I grew up on a small farm and we could never justify owning a
combine so we had to give up 1/4 of the crop every year to a custom
operator.  Everytime I see folks tearing up combines all I can think is that
some small farmer somewhere needs that combine.  Even if it's worn slam out
there are some parts on it that some guy needs.

With that said, I know I'm being stupid about it.  If the things had any
value the farmers wouldn't be tearing them up in the derby.  It's just an
emotional thing with very little logic behind it.  If those guys gave me the
combines.  They wouldn't be worth what it cost to haul them to my farm and
that is exactly why they are tearing them up for fun.  They have no useful
value other than junk.  I still can't stand to watch it.

No offense meant to you Ralph.  Thanks for posting it.

Charlie