[Farmall] Governor Timing

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 12:22:01 PDT 2010

Ben,
You are likely to be able to do it without taking the front cover off.  You
may end up doing a little trial and error, requiring doing some stuff more
than once.  But it will still be less work than taking the whole front end
apart.  So it is worth a try.

First off, have you turned the crankshaft or magneto since the governor was
pulled out?  If not, method 1 may work.

Method 1:  Look through the opening where the governor will be installed.
You should be able to see the drive lugs for the magneto.  Look at their
orientation.  Rotate your governor then slide it into place so that it will
engage the cam gear and the drive slots of the governor will engage the
magneto drive lugs without turning the magneto.  If you are lucky, it will
all slide into place.  Then you can check the timing by rotating the engine
to TDC and see if the magneto trips at TDC.  It will either be pretty close
or way off.  If way off, this method didn't work and you can try method 2.

Method 2:  Remove the magneto.  Rotate the crankshaft until it is at TDC,
cylinder 1 on compression.  Look into the governor opening on the engine.
You should be able to see a bit of the cam gear, including the double punch
mark.  Install the governor with its double punch mark in line with the cam
double punch mark.  If you cannot find the double punch marks, rotate the
governor and install it so the drive slots are 35 degrees away from
horizontal (at about a 2 o'clock 8 o'clock orientation, viewed from the
back).  Rotate the magneto BACKWARDS until the rotor is pointing near the #1
plug wire post of the distributor cap and the drive lugs are 35 degrees from
horizontal.  Install the magneto and set the timing by the book.

Removing the crankshaft pulley isn't easy.  You need to use a bearing
splitter to keep from breaking the flange.  A puller that uses a hydraulic
jack usually works better than a screw type.  Hopefully, you won't need to
do this.
Jim Becker