[AT] AC B Mag question

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 21 19:41:06 PDT 2009

Been a while since I worked on a C but I would imagine the coil has  2 wires
like most other mags. One should have no insulation which should hook to
ground. The other should be insulated and go to the points. Make sure the
wires going to the points and the ground/cutoff terminal aren't too close to
the frame. Points should probably be set on .013-.015, I believe a lot of
Wico's had it cast inside the mag. Like others have suggested, make sure the
points are clean and not oily or corroded. My question is why he changed the
coil. Was it a hunch or did it leak out all the insulating oil inside the
mag. If so did he clean it out? If possible, check the fire coming out of
the coil with a screwdriver grounded to the frame. You should get at least
1/4" spark. I have seen Wico's go close to 7/16" when installed on our Allen
test station.

John Hall