[Farmall] Super A engine trouble...

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 18 19:21:08 PDT 2009

For $2500 the only thing that will be the same is the block and timing
gears. EVERYTHING else should be new or re-machined (although you may have
to use some aftermarket parts to keep the cost down). It is very rare to
find anyone wanting to pour that much cash into an A these days. If you are
only going to "play" with your tractor or merely raise a garden, you should
be able to get by much cheaper. Obviously he'll need to pull  the valve
cover to see if it is something simple like a sticking/sluggish valve. If
not then you have broken or stuck rings on that one cylinder. If the rings
haven't broken and scored the bore, you may be able to get by with just
rings. If you had decent oil pressure and the engine wasn't knocking, you
probably won't need to turn the crank. Unfortunately he'll have to measure
the bore and the crank to tell you the severity of the problem. The good
news is it doesn't take long tear it down so if you decide to junk it, the
labor bill shouldn't be that bad.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

John Hall