[Farmall] New '47 H

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Sep 8 05:13:11 PDT 2009

I will give you my personal view on mounting a loader on an H. If there
are no hydraulics on the tractor (highly unlikely on a '47), you are
going to have to rig up some kind of pump. The most obvious way is a PTO
mounted pump, but then you will only have hydraulic pressure when the
clutch is out and the PTO is engaged. You will also lose the the use of
the PTO for anything else. If you can find a crankshaft mounted pump,
that will work better, but you will have to butcher the grill to mount
it. The added weight of the loader in front is going to make steering
difficult and also bring out any wear in the steering mechanism, front
wheel bearings, etc. Then there is the loader itself, if it doesn't come
with valves, hoses, and reservoir, you will have to rig those up also,
at no small expense. The only "good news" about your arrangement is that
you have plenty of weight in the back of the tractor, so you won't lose
traction when the bucket is full. I think that there are better tractors
for loaders, but if you are looking for a "project" and don't mind the
expense and effort, go for it.

I bought a "Super Six" loader for very little money a couple of years
ago. I intend, eventually, to mount it on my Super M, but I have the
advantage of an existing engine driven pump, spare valve ports, and
reservoir+filter (installed when I added a three-point hitch). Even at
that, the loader will have not down pressure and only a trip bucket.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tractor_loaders/unloading_loaders_07.html>

Mike