[AT] OT - Malware blocking program

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 09:34:52 PDT 2009

Now that Mac's are above about 10% of the computer market the virus writers
are taking note and writing virii for them now apparently (may be a rumor; I
haven't verified this yet). So adding an antivirus program to your system
cost might be advisable. If you're doing graphics work, Mac's are great. I
haven't seen much in the way of engineering programs for them but Quickbooks
is available. There might be others.

Most programs are written for the largest market first, then ported to the
smaller ones as the demand requires. If you need the newest and greatest of
anything, PC's will be hard to beat. Gamers spend real money (sadly, this is
where a lot of hot-rodding has gone, IMHO) to stay ahead of their peers.
You'll find a LOT of really fast hardware in the gamer community but the
rest of us rarely use anything at that level. Even in my simulation work, I
have some old hardware since it does what I need.

You're usually best figuring out which application(s) you need to run, then
getting the hardware that does it.

Get the right tool for the job. Then maintain it. Just like a tractor. :)

Ken in AZ