[AT] Thanks!

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Oct 8 18:39:46 PDT 2009

Larry Goss wrote:
> Yeah, I've got two or three of those, Steve, but when I was a kid,
> all we had available on the farm was a ball peen hammer.  If you hit
> the rivet with a heavy blow, it just bent the rivet.  You had to
> "work" it with small blows to form the rivet head by hand a little
> bit at a time.  "Tick-tick-tick" came from an old Bill Cosby routine
> about throwing bullets in the furnace during shop class in high
> school.
>
> What I use now is a rivet setter that swedges the rivet with a
> one-inch wrench -- one operation for the whole process and the rivet
> is spin-formed in the process.  Neat operation.  I can install all
> new sections on a sickle knife in less than half an hour.  I've been
> known to do it "while you wait" at tractor shows.
>
> Larry

I use a peen when I want to demonstrate how to do it that way. In the
shop I don't waste the time.
I looked at a spinner a couple times. I figure I can change a few
sections in the field with a hammer cheaper.

On nice thing with the Haban is that I have three bars for it. Makes it
easier to keep going, just swap out the bar and change out the bad
section at my leisure.

--
Steve W.