[AT] now tools

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 07:17:32 PDT 2009

In or about the late 1970's or early 1980's we had a Nichols department store in Canandaigua N.Y..  This was the era of the first large wave of imported tools to our markets (mostly Japan then).  Most stores had a sizable display of the whole nine yards of drill presses, hand tools, etc..

While wandering Nichols, I added a 3/4 drive socket set in a steel case to my cart.  It was the popular "Buffalo" brand.  The price was $ 49.95, less money than a U.S. made ratchet.  When I met up with my wife in another isle, she looked at the socket set and asked why I needed it.  Her comment was that I did not work on heavy equipment.  (My only tractor at that time was the 8N Ford, which I still have.)  I replied that I might not use it often, but at those times I would need it, there was nothing else that would do.

Today I still have and use the Buffalo set.  It does not have a worn or stretched socket (all six point) or a broken piece.  It has stood up to my full body weight  jumping on a three foot pipe cheater on the ratchet in order to loosen dual wheel lug nuts on my dump trucks.  Am I sorry I bought it.  NO.  Whenever I haul it out of the drawer in the tool cabinet I get a little smile while I think of my wife's comment nearly thirty years ago, and my reply.

Charlie V. in WNY