[AT] Trailer safety chains?

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Oct 26 07:56:12 PDT 2009

A lot of good replies...

The bottom line is they need to be long enough to reach the tow
vehicle, but not so long that they drag on the ground.

They need to be long enough that when turning they to not stretch
tight - this is half the reason for the crossed chains (the other half
is a cradle to catch the tongue so it doesn't drag if the hitch falls
off)   Most people attach the chains to one point on the bottom of the
trailer right behind the tongue, and then this doesn't really matter.
If you attach the chains to either side of the trailer there can be
problems turning if the chains don't cross.   I can't explain this
better without a picture.  (think of an exaggerated case where you
attach from the side of the trailer to the side of the truck and think
of what happens in a corner - this would be stupid to do, but it makes
it easy to see the problems)

As others have pointed out, twisting the chains is not a good idea.
If you have several tow vehicles with differing chain attachment
points (I've never actually seen this, but it can happen), then get
extension chains for each vehicle so you can use the right length of
chain for each.  Make sure the hooks can be secure on your extension.