[AT] Pertronix was: Generator ...

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Oct 20 20:46:41 PDT 2009

I bought one for my 63 Chevy 2 ton with the fertilizer bed on it.  I
haven't installed it yet because it is a 6 cylinder and I have to stand
on my head to get the distributor out.  I just pull the distributor out
and set it up on the old distributor machine and set everything while it
is out, then reinstall.  Years before pertronix was available, I went
through 3 rebuilt distributors on a 292 six before finding one that
didn't have too much play in the shaft.  They would install a standard
bushing on a worn shaft.  I would replace the  bushing with nylatron and
make it very tight. When it hit the worn spot, it loosened up and ran
great..  It was more of an art than a science.  With this sorry
gasoline, pertronix is the only way to go.  It is great with propane too.

Cecil in OKla