[AT] OT... sort of (audio)

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Oct 19 06:26:49 PDT 2009

I'm not old enough to have LPs, but I'm doing this with all my CDs.
One thing I would warn everyone is don't transfer to mp3!

MP3 is designed to throw away most of the information, just saving
enough that it can guess "close enough" what things intended to sound
like.   If you use a "high bit rate" no human can tell the difference,
but there are very good odds that sometime in the future you will want
a different format.   (most often a lower bit-rate mp3 for a portable
device with little storage)   Your sound quality will be much lower if
you start from a mp3 and "transcode" to something else, than if you
start with something that doesn't throw things away.

I recommend .flac because it was designed to be about as compressed as
you can get sound without throwing things away.  It isn't well known,
but it is common enough that you have a reasonable chance that your
software will open it.

In any case, the quality of your equipment matters when going from LP
to digital.   You get what you pay for.   Don't blame software for bad
hardware - software will generally either work perfectly or not at
all, hardware will can run a large range of qualities.