[AT] OT... sort of

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sun Oct 18 20:12:10 PDT 2009

My backups are a bit less structured, Dick, but varied in a different way.  For the tractor files I have generated (five full CD's at this point) I give them away free to anyone who wants them.  They are all in PDF or JPEG format and are unlocked so anyone can copy them and use them.  I figure widespread distribution that is geographically separated is about the cheapest "insurance" to make sure the archives on this particular brand of antique tractor (Power King) do not disappear.  Blank disks cost about 13 cents each.  The Tyvek envelopes for them cost equally as much.  So for less than a dollar, I can plant a whole repository of all the material I have collected.  I have been known to collect a bowl of ice cream at a tractor show in exchange for a set of the disks.

I purposely keep the files off-line.  There are too many instances of fees being charged, ownership being claimed, and other "bad" things happening for me to be involved an on-line storage system.

Larry