[AT] Generator LP fuel consumption

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Oct 18 05:43:15 PDT 2009

Don a loaded 15kw onan with a 6 cyl continental will use 60 gallons in
24 hours.  A 20kw fully loaded would probably use 80gallons then
multiply that by 1.2 to get fully loaded and by .55 for half load.  I
would estimate 45 to 50 gallons in 24 hours.  That is only 2 gallons an
hour.  If you broke that down into tractor terms, 10 KW ewrquires about
20 hp to drive it, a 20hp tractor on lp would use more than 2 gallons
per hour.  I would think.

I had a good friend only yesterday ask me for a 60 Kw generator for his
house with a transfer switch.  He wanted to run it on Nat gas and auto
switch so that if his wife was there alone and the power was out she
would have air conditioning and the stove, etc..  Natural is cheap right
now so it would only run about $60 a day to run it.  However he is
looking at $12K outlay for a good used unit.

Cecil in ok