[AT] Thanks!

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 8 13:31:09 PDT 2009

Yeah, I've got two or three of those, Steve, but when I was a kid, all we had available on the farm was a ball peen hammer.  If you hit the rivet with a heavy blow, it just bent the rivet.  You had to "work" it with small blows to form the rivet head by hand a little bit at a time.  "Tick-tick-tick" came from an old Bill Cosby routine about throwing bullets in the furnace during shop class in high school.

What I use now is a rivet setter that swedges the rivet with a one-inch wrench -- one operation for the whole process and the rivet is spin-formed in the process.  Neat operation.  I can install all new sections on a sickle knife in less than half an hour.  I've been known to do it "while you wait" at tractor shows.

Larry