[Farmall] tools

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 25 15:19:00 PST 2009

Well, everyone to their own. I have plastic calipers, a set of good
quality micrometers, a decent dial caliper, and a Chinese digital 6"
caliper. The nice thing about the plastic caliper is that it can bang
around in the tool box and not be damaged. The accuracy isn't great, but
for half of my measurements (diameter of a hose, inside  diameter of a
pipe, length of a pin, thickness of a brake lining, etc.) it is "good
enough". For many of my other measurements, the digital caliper works
very well, and I found that removing the battery in between uses makes
the battery last darn near forever.

But when I need to measure things like bearing shells, crankshaft
journals, and that kind of thing, out comes the set of micrometers.

I guess the issue is "what are you measuring and why?" If I was doing
critical metal machining on a lathe or mill, then I would strongly
recommend the best measuring tools you can afford. But for 95% of
repairs on old tractors, middle quality measuring tools will do just
fine. If you look at the specifications for those machines, most of the
numbers are in a range well within the accuracy of middle quality tools.

I am retired, so I have to make do with what I can afford, but if you
have more money, there is nothing wrong with the very best. As they say
in the car ads "your mileage may vary". :-)

Mike