[AT] [Possible SPAM] Re: Fluid flushing auto - OT

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:30:02 PST 2009

Carl, take a look at the oil.  If it's red and smells "aromatic" it's ok.
If it's brownish or dirty looking or smells burned it needs to be changed.
It needs periodic changes but it's not a panic situation as long as it still
looks and smells right.  I had a 700R4 in an '85 Chevy that would burn the
oil in 10 to 15 thousand miles.  The dealers shop foreman was a jerk and
wouldn't do anything to it under warranty.  I drove the truck close to 100
miles a day, everyday and sometimes more and didn't have time to fool with
them.  I just kept changing the fluid when it turned brown and smelled.  The
transmission finally failed at about 140,000 miles.  Turns out the passage
that allowed the oil to go to or return from the cooler (I forget which) had
never been drilled or was incorrectly drilled and the oil was not cooling.

Charlie